Bruce Bogtrotter's Cake - Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes
This is a fantastic cake!
8 oz. good quality semi sweet chocolate
12 T. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. plus 2T sugar
1/4 c. all purpose flour
6 eggs, separated, yolks lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 8 1/2 inch round cake pan with wax paper and butter the sides and bottom of pan.
- Melt the chocolate in a pyrex bowl set in a saucepan of simmering water or in a microwave on low heat. Mix in the butter and stir until melted.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the sugar, flour and lightly beaten egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gently folk half of the whites into the chocolate mixture, blending thoroughly, then fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake for about 35 minutes. There will be a think crust on top of the cake, and if tested with a toothpick, the inside will appear undercooked (don't worry, the cake will get firmer as it cools). Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- When the cake is cool enough to handle, carefully remove from the pan, leaving the crusty side up.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar and serve with sliced strawberries.