Sunday, April 4, 2010

brisket twice removed


Brisket, done well, NOT well done, is a real crowd pleaser. Here is a brisket recipe that I adapted from a smitten kitchen recipe that she adapted from Emeril. I had every intention of making the smitten version in my slow cooker, but started the process too late. Besides, I didn't have all the ingredients on hand to follow her recipe specifically. No worries. I'll use what I have on hand. I refuse to go to the grocery for 2 or 3 items. So, you can read the smitten kitchen version here and see my adaptation of her adaptation right here:

Sunday Brisket - Me via Smitten Kitchen via Emeril

2 onions, I had a purple with a mushy side and a small good yellow one
1 shallot
1/2 packet of dry onion soup mix
4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 t. salt
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. black pepper
a little cayenne
1 t. fresh thyme
beef bouillon cube
1 c. water
1/2 c. ketchup
Heinz chili sauce - Not much left in the jar, so I put about 1/2 c. water in the jar and swished it around. I ended up with a little over 1/2 c. diluted chili sauce
1/2 c brown sugar
5 pound brisket

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
  2. Make the sauce: Heat a skillet over medium flame and saute onions and shallot, stirring every now and again until caramelized and your kitchen smells great. Add the garlic cloves and saute a bit longer. Stir in spices and seasonings, cook for 2 more minutes and remove from heat. In a large bowl, stir together ketchup, onion soup mix, chili sauce, beef bouillon and water, and brown sugar.
  3. Place brisket in a baking dish, spread the onion mixture over the top, then pour the sauce over the brisket. Cover with foil and bake for 5 hours.
  4. When the brisket is tender, remove it from the baking dish to a platter and cover that in foil.
  5. Put the baking dish with the drippings in the refrigerator. Remove the fat with a spatula or big spoon once it has solidified. Reheat the sauce and serve it alongside sliced brisket.
Terrific!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails