Thursday, June 3, 2010

comfort food

This post originally ran about a year ago. I think it's worth a repeat. If you live in Texas, you'll be thanking me around Saturday for this delicious cold summer soup.


I'm not talking about mac and cheese, or meatloaf or mashed potatoes or roasted chicken.
You see, the dress I planned to wear for Sophie's middle school graduation is snug.......ish. Not obscenely tight or anything. Just a tad snug. This is a problem because I like to be comfortable. At all times. I like jeans and funny t shirts from Threadless and running shorts and tennis shoes and A line skirts. Nowhere on this list do you see snug dress. I'll use this deadline as an opportunity to eat smart this week for a comfy fit. If you follow the Weight Watchers core plan, this is a perfectly legal recipe. Just be reasonable about portions.

Here is what I'm eating tonight.


cold avocado cucumber soup - serves 4 - Everyday Food, long ago issue

1 english cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4 in. cubes
2 avocados, pitted and peeled
1/2 c. non fat plain yogurt
3 T. fresh lime juice
1 small minced jalapeno (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired)
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
course salt and pepper
1 t. olive oil

  1. In a blender, combine half the cucumber and 1 avocado with the yogurt, lime juice, jalapeno, scallions, 1 T cilantro, 1 c. ice water, 1 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t pepper. Puree until completely smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
  2. Cut remaining avocado into 1/4 inch cubes. Stir avodado and remaining cucumber into soup. Thin with 1/2 to 1 c. water, as desired. Season again with salt and pepper. Chill about 1 hour. Garnish with chopped cilantro.


7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful combination of flavors! I may have to try this soon, especially as the weather gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cortney. Serve this with grilled shrimp for a nice complete summer meal. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I actually have all of these ingredients! Yea. Thanks for the reminder on an awesome summer soup!

    ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. i took my ipad on vacation and tried to check your blog but left off the word "blog" in your title and couldn't find it. thought i had lost my mind!!

    anyway, whew- :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shari, thanks for the great summer recipe. I just whirled it up and is now chilling for lunch today!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the platinum !
    Nini

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails