Tuesday, June 22, 2010

hot dogs + cold soup

Summer officially started just yesterday and BAM, just like that, 100 degrees all week. Feeling a little sluggish? Not relishing the idea of heating up your kitchen? It's time to take a look at all my cold soup recipes again. Although I never ever grow tired of classic gazpacho and I love the avocado cucumber, this spinach and cucumber soup is a unique and very tasty alternative with minimal heat up in the kitchen.

I'd like to thank my sous chef, Olive. Stellar company in the kitchen.

My boy Buster was not so helpful. It looks like he partied too hard last night!


Spinach and Cucumber Soup with Feta from A Good Day for Soup
by Ferrary and Fiszer

2T butter
4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
fresh spinach leaves, about 2 cups coarsely chopped
1/2c. fresh chopped parsley
2 c. chicken stock ( I didn't have any on hand, so I used one bouillon cube dissolved in 2c. boiling water)
Fresh lemon juice from one lemon
1 c. buttermilk
salt and pepper
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese

  1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over med/high heat. Cook scallions, garlic and cucumbers until softened, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add oregano, spinach and half the parsley. Cook, stirring just until spinach wilts.
  3. Puree mixture in a blender or food processor with stock and lemon juice.
  4. Cover and chill.
  5. Stir in buttermilk and taste for salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley and some feta.





3 comments:

  1. Looks like Buster knows how to nap!

    (the baby blanket was a huge hit!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that soup looks delicious!

    I wanted to say Hi and thank you! I just saw your response to the Devon post on The 'Lil Bee and saw what you said about the video. It's SUCH a beautiful idea! I hope you don't mind but we may be borrowing it :)

    Glad I saw it, and found your lovely blog too!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails