Thursday, September 3, 2009

8 ball squash


Now, what am I going to do with these little guys? The 8 ball squash is a zucchini hybrid. Don't they look cool? I think I'll make this recipe provided by the very farmer who grew the squash. He's a keen marketer.

Taco Stuffed 8 Ball Squash - 4 servings - a recipe from Farmer Lemley, Farmers Market - downtown Dallas

  • 4 large 8 ball squash
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 c. chopped onion
  • 1/4 c. bell peppers
  • 1 c. chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 2 t. salt
1. Cut the stem end and put the 8 balls in a pan, cut side down, with a cup of water. simmer for 10 minutes until tender.
2. Brown the ground beef.
3. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and salt.
4. When the 8 balls are cool, scoop out the middle with spoon and add to the ground beef mixture.
5. Fill the squash with the mixture and top with grated cheese of your choice.
6. Place in 350 degree oven until the cheese melts.

UPDATE: This was kind of yuck. Too watery. I love the way they look. I'll try something different next time.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if you could remedy the extra liquid by not simmering the squash before you stuff and bake them? And maybe some bread crumbs in the taco mixture might help absorb some of the grease from the ground beef? I've been looking forward to trying out this recipe since you posted it, so I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input cooking princess. If I make another attempt in the near future, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails