Wednesday, September 16, 2009

happy or sad?


My girlfriend Stephanie can never remember if Rosh Hashanah is the happy holiday or the sad one? I remind her it's Jewish New Year. It's the happy one! Next week, we atone.
This week, we eat apples and challah dipped in honey. Challah is a super tasty Jewish egg bread, a cousin to brioche. Sorry to boast (I'll atone for it next week), but this Methodist can make a mean challah. If you want to make challah with me on Thursday, pick these things up from the grocery today.

  1. 2 packages of active dry yeast
  2. 1/2 cup sugar or honey
  3. 6 cups unbleached all purpose or bread flour
  4. 4 eggs
  5. 1 stick butter
  6. golden raisins, optional
I'm going to attempt to video the bread making process on Thursday and post it via youtube.
If I can't pull it off by myself, I'll either:

A. pull my kids out of school for the day so they can help me

OR

B. take step by step photographs

I suppose B. is more responsible.
Come back tomorrow for bread class!

5 comments:

  1. Shari how fun! I can't wait to see you live. If you have never seen Shari live you are in for a treat. I would love to make Challah. Fun. Can't wait.
    xo ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in!!
    I'll buy the ingredients today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, and the items look easy. I can't attempt to make it on Thursday, but certainly will over the weekend. -Something nice to do with my Mom. Great Photo Shari!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in too but do you need a special pan to bake it in?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails