Thursday, January 21, 2010

grilllzzzz + aliens

Test for determining if someone is an alien from a far away galaxy
according to my friend Malina:
1. offer grilled cheese sandwich
2. if they refuse the grilled cheese sandwich,
you are looking into the eyes of an alien.
3. Harry is an alien. If you saw
yesterdays video, you might
tend to agree
Otherwise, the whole family loved our custom grilled cheese sandwiches.
Sorry David. No special orders.


Roasted Tomato Basil Soup - The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

3lbs. ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/4 c. plus 2T. olive oil
1 T salt
1 1/2 t. pepper
2 c. chopped yellow onions (around 2)
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T butter
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
28 oz. canned plum tomatoes with their juice
4 c. fresh basil leaves, packed
1 t. fresh thyme leaves
1 qt. chicken stock

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4c. olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
  3. In a large soup pot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2T of olive oil, butter and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes until the onions start to brown.
  4. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme and chicken stock. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
  5. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
  6. Pass thru a food mill on the coarsest blade or just use your blender like I did. I still like my soup a bit chunky so I didn't puree too fine. Adjust your seasonings.

3 comments:

  1. I love this one Shari! Yes no custom orders. It sounded like a very fun lunch!

    ANN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made grilled cheese and tom. soup for my family over Thanksgiving. Must be a Texas thing! But my soup was from The Joy (as my Mother says it). I used only fresh tomatoes and I should have used some canned-it was a little late in the season.
    I also served sliced Honey Crisp apples with lemons and grated ginger.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails